I have the luxury of being able to walk to work, and on my daily commute I usually listen to podcasts on my iPhone. Just as there are blogs to suit every taste, there are podcasts in every theme imaginable – including cooking and gardening. I subscribe through iTunes, but the podcasts are available direct on the web as well. Some of my favorite are:
- Greendays Gardening Panel: This is a weekly feature of KUOW radio in Seattle, in which gardening experts discuss some topic and also take questions from listeners. My grandmother has called into this program on a few occasions in years past! The program is accessible, but not too basic, and the call-in portion offers a glimpse into the woes and successes of other people’s gardens.
- GardeNerd Tip of the Week: An enthusiastic, compact little podcast, clocking in at no more than two minutes per episode, the straightforward suggestions are helpful for beginners and good reminders even for those with gardening experience.
- Ken Druse – Real Dirt: Sage advice from a nationally known garden expert. Thanks to Susan Harris for publicizing (and appearing on) this podcast.
- Good Food with Evan Kleiman: Another NPR show available in podcast form, I love this show’s discussions about food, wine, trends, and politics.
- Dinner Party Download: This awesome podcast was highlighted on The Kitchn recently. It’s only partially about food; the show also functions as a weekly news summary and history lesson. The conceit is that each segment is akin to a phase of a dinner party, starting with an ice breaker, moving on through cocktails and small talk and a guest of honor, and ending with a foodie main course.
Does anyone have other suggestions for podcasts about food, gardening, or sustainability?